Thursday, March 29, 2012

I blew through a Twinkie

I did not think I'd blow through a Twinkie in 25 mins.  It's amazing what your body can do.
 
As I spouted off the other day about trying to NOT get a low blood sugar when I am running, I'm still experimenting.  I started off last night with a BG of 129 at 6:00 pm (I'm at a basal rate of .45 from 2:30-7:00pm) and a teeny bit of afternoon snack-insulin on board still, so I ate a Twinkie snack cake (28 carbs-mostly straight sugar) hoping that'd take care of it.  

Nope, went for just under a 1.5 mile run (25 mins) and came home to a BG of 67 and an evening of almost being low (granola bar was necessary) until I went to bed. Took a big swig out of the milk carton for good measure before bed and woke up to a 164.  Not bad. 

If I run today, I will turn the basal down to .25 at around 5:30 and also make sure I'm higher when I start.  Maybe a BG of 150 will be a good number to try and be at.  I'll do the same route also.  We'll see what this lovely evening brings.  



*I do always have glucose tabs in my pocket, along with my cellphone in case I need to stop or get lost in my neighborhood 'cause I'm confused.  I also tell my husband or text him, if he's not home-he works 3 miles away, my exact route and the estimated time I should be out. 

**Twinkie Disclaimer:  I do not eat Twinkies on a regular basis-I've probably had 3 in my life, I'm a Swiss Cake Roll girl myself :) 
We had a pack because I am trying out ideas for my husband's birthday, which coincides with the anniversary of the start of the Mayan calendar (the theme will be a Mayan/end of the world as we know it/Twinkies can outlast a nuclear bomb/my husband's amazing party.) 

No comments: