Friday, June 8, 2012

Beautiful Boudoir-Step 1, The Dresser

I am finally redoing our bedroom.  It is currently the ugly, rental-house beige that was badly applied.  I have decided to use a all-over wall stencil from Cutting Edge Stencils to highlight one wall. This is the one I ordered!  
I have decided on the paint colors, a pale fleshy-mauve color and the stencil is a darker mauve color.  There are splotches on every wall.  I'm hoping to buy the gallons in the next week or so.


This weekend I am re-painting our dresser (my Grandmother's Minneapolis Lugar Furniture Company, circa early 1900's-though not as fancy as the ones shown on the website) BLACK with worn edges and I'm going to use Briwax to antique it.  I hope to get some vintage hardware too-maybe some crystal knobs to add to it. 

I'm not usually one to cover nice wood pieces, as it does have a nice grain, but the top is missing most of the stain due to my sisters and I spilling nail polish remover all over it and covering it with stickers and more nail polish as I'm discovering.  And I don't want to strip it.  Neither does my husband, as he has the final job of finishing up my little Hoosier-Style cabinet.  Remember that? It's in the final process of stripping the 5-6 layers of for surely lead, cream, light avocado green, a hideous red, and more cream paint...

Here are some before pictures of the dresser...and you can see the ugly beige-ness of the room too. 

Full View


Mirror base cutouts and front carving detail



 
Bottom of dresser carving detail


I need to find two old matching nightstands that I can paint to match, but for some reason I'm having a hard time finding some!



1 comment:

Vangie said...

That turned out beautiful!